Music Theory Software to Help You Compose and Play Music
eMedia Music Theory Tutor Complete includes over 430 engaging music theory lessons organized to teach the crucial musical elements of rhythm, melody, and harmony. Learn music theory by using images, audio, interactivity, and practical music theory examples. The complete music theory curriculum can take a student from basic music theory for beginners all the way to intermediate-to-advanced music theory.
Start with learning how to read music, chord theory, scale construction, and basic chord progressions. Then advance to understanding the circle of fifths, chord substitution, chord progression theory, and cadence. Acting like a real instructor, the Intelligent Practice feature in the music theory software analyzes your responses and creates an individualized practice program to improve your weakest areas.
Hum, sing, or play your instrument into the computer’s microphone. The music theory software can listen as you tap in rhythms, sing back pitches to guess intervals, and interact with the lessons in a natural way. eMedia Music Theory Tutor Complete shows you when you match pitches correctly in a lesson and shows a chart of your progress as you move through the course. Gain confidence as you pass the music theory quiz at the end of each subject and ace tests at the end of every grade level.
The music theory lessons found in eMedia Music Theory Tutor Complete will teach you the building blocks of music. Learn to hear musical keys, scales, intervals, chords, and rhythms “in your head,” to help you compose music (with or without an instrument), improvise solos, and learn songs by ear faster.
- Learn music theory with a step-by-step curriculum designed by Dr. Gregory Simon, who has a Ph.D. in music composition from University of Michigan who has taught at the University of Colorado.
- Music theory software featuring over 430 music theory lessons, exercises, and tests with graphics, interactivity, and sound.
- Both music theory and basic ear training combined into one powerful application.
- Graphs, charts, and lists to view your answer statistics and easily measure your progress as you learn music theory.
- Intelligent Practice that tracks your progress and automatically selects questions to improve weak spots.
- Exercises teaching rhythmic fundamentals including tempo, counting beats, measures, values for notes and rests, and syncopation.
- Rhythmic lessons teach counting, recognition of simple and compound time signatures (including 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 7/4, 3/8, 9/8, etc.), and cut time.
- Interactive music theory lessons on how to read music, with explanations and exercises for learning clefs, key signatures, note pitches, names, and rhythmic values (including dotted and beamed notes) including advanced triplets.
- Explanation of major, minor (harmonic and natural), and chromatic scale construction plus modes and the circle of fifths.
- Ear training and theory exercises teach you to identify and understand note direction and motion, intervals (fourths, fifths, tritones, melodic/harmonic, etc.), scales, chords, and progressions.
- Melodic identification studies that cover note stability and resolution plus the roles of melody and harmony.
- Interval identification studies (fourths, fifths, tritones, melodic/harmonic, etc.).
- Chord theory lessons outline chord construction (major and minor triads, diminished, augmented and 7ths), inversions, and arpeggios.
- Lessons on chord progression theory covering chord function and cadence within progressions (tonic, dominant, subdominant, etc.), Roman numeral (I, IV, V, etc.) and figured bass notation, plus chord substitutions, phrasing, passing and pedal tones.
- Lessons and exercises in musical form and analysis (binary, ternary, rondo, phrasing, etc.) help you better understand composition.
- A harmonic flowchart plus major and minor harmony studies.
- Solfege studies, with arpeggio and sight singing.
What reviewers are saying...
"Well-thought-out music training application."
Offers a thoughtful, step-by-step introduction to ear training."
–Dr. Erik Steighner, saxophonist and music teacher
"This is a very, very cool tool for music teachers or any Mac user who wants to improve their singing or understanding of music"